Friday 15 May 2009

Something to aim for

Well I have found some pictures of a Timbertops chair wheel here http://jennyk.co.uk/spinning/chair_wheel.html so now I have a better visual idea of what I am aiming for.
Plans are OK but to to see a finished product helps so much more. I have managed to get David's book Wheels and Looms from the library and am reading it. It's a few years since I looked at this book but I am sure it will help me with a few things I will have forgotten about.

I have been comparing sizes of parts on my wheels and the plans I have. I think that I will try to make the chair frame a bit thicker than those in the plans. Even our pine dining chairs are thicker than the frame in the plans. It is surprising that 1/4 of an inch makes such a difference. Before I had seen the pictures of the Timbertops wheel I had decided I would be straying from the plans so that I could fit bearings rather than none as in the plans. This will mean some parts need to be a bit bigger to accommodate the bearings.

I went through my stash of yew and think I have enough to make the spokes and maidens. I had bought a waney board years ago and cut it up into squares pity the board had not been 3/8" thicker I could have made the chair frame. I also have some bowl blanks that will make the hubs and the accelerator.

So things are looking quite good........well on paper. After school holidays I will make a start on making some of the parts. If I am lucky I might be allowed to stop off a Stamford and look in at Lincolnshire Woodturner's and see what they have in stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment